Thursday, August 5, 2010

Getting Started

So, school is going to start in less than a month. I have a whole list of things today before my first semester as a nursing student! I am excited, but the cost of getting there is almost frightening. There are about ten books that I have to have before school starts. Thankfully there is amazon.com and I bought them all for half the original cost. Ten text books? Why do we need so many? I believe my first semester only consists of four classes. My goodness. If anyone is going through the process of entrance into a nursing program, be forwarned. There is a lot more to do than just buying books. I have to get a physical examination, my CPR certification is about to expire, I have to buy a nursing kit (I'm not sure what exactly is in the kit), I have to buy a stethescope (poopoo, those are a bit pricey), and of course my scrubs for clinicals at the hospital. The scrubs that I have to purchase are $54 per top. That is really expensive! And then I have to get the bottom, I have no idea ho much that is going to cost! But, do I really wanna know? I'm sure there is going to be lots more to buy before the first week of classes end. The teachers will probably add a few more books and supplies to the never-ending list of things to purchase. One thing I love to do is back-to-school shopping. I love the look of clean notebooks, ready to take on the struggles and scribbles of the year. I love taking notes, so I have a ton of supplies to get me organized (notebooks, colored pens, TONS of post-it notes, markers). Although, I think I have to start taking notes a bit differently. I tend to take a long time when I am taking my notes. They are extremely neat, ink in four different colors, and the pages are covered in every shape, size and color of sticky-tabs. It looks nice, and it helps me remember things, but it takes me too long. I have my notebooks, I have my pens. I am ready for the first battle, semester number, my freshman semester in nursing school. In the college I am going to, there are four semesters. Although I will be a sophomore (I haven't taken enough classes to have junior standing), I will be a freshman in nursing school. I am ready to take this head on! After I get the preliminaries out of the way.

4 comments:

  1. Same here...I have enough credits that if I was at a university I would probably be a junior but at the community college I am attending I am a sophomore. However, I am the same as you as in the nursing course is 4 semesters so this fall is my very first semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear from a fellow nursing student! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the prepping stages for clinicals too, but I am about done. I have all of my medical stuff done and now just need to focus on finishing up my shopping list. Yes, this is very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara: I am sure all the expenses will pay off! Soon we will be making good money as nurses and helping people too!

    ReplyDelete