Monday, August 2, 2010

Got Nurse?

Hello, this is my first post for my second blog. If you haven't read my first blog, you should. It's about yoga. A completely different subject than nursing, but still worth the read. In my opinion anyway. I am twenty years old and starting the nursing program at the community collegenear my home. It is a two year program that will qualify me to work as an RN, I won't have my bachelor's degree, I will have to go somewhere else for that, but I will be able to work in a hospital. I am soooo excited about this program! But I am also scared. I want to write this blog throughout my two years at school to share with other people, especially other nursing students about nursing school. The first thing that I would like to address is that a lot of people decide that they will go for nursing. One thing that I want to point out is, you have to know that you want to be a nurse. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the toughest job in the world. Ask any nurse if their job is easy and they will laugh at you. Anyone who wants to be a nurse should go and get a job in a hospital as a Patient Care Tech. It's like nursing, except that PCT's don't do paperwork, and they do more of the lifting and pulling than the nurses do. If you want to be a good nurse you have to be: Patient (patients require a heck of a lot of patience), caring, willing (to work hard, extra hours, etc.), fast, reasonable, strong (if you are a cripple, maybe try for med school... not to be mean, its just that heavy lifting is a requirement), able to take strong smells and keep a straight face, have a firewall in your head (it's hard not to cry when a patient runs out of their room swearing at you), look at a computer for long periods of time, sit for long periods of time, smile (it makes the job easier), fast thinking. This list could go on and on. Although I am not a nurse yet, I work at a hospital and I work with the nurses, I see what they do, I help them with their job. Remember, you're back is probably going to hurt a lot. Get used to it. No, just kidding, really try to prevent any back injury. So many healthcare workers have back problems because of their job. But so many of these nurses love their job. If you don't think you're going to like it, then I suggest you choose a different career. If you are ready to take on the hardest job in the world, then we're in the same boat! I am so excited for this blog and these next to years! Here's to helping people through the good times and bad! Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this I am really glad you started the second blog... and that you are blogging more about yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I loved this idea.

    I'm from Brazil and I try to keep up reading all informations that you put available on FB.

    I just want to ask a favor, a minor one to make easy to understand: Could you please explain abbreviations, what they mean, like when you say "PCT's".. I have no clue and I try to look at in dictionaries, on google.. but i cant find the meaning :/

    Congratulations for the great ideia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sorry. To clarify, a PCT is a Patient Care Technician :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Can't wait to read more. I start nursing school in a few weeks myself. I am blogging about my journey as well. I don't have much yet but it is on my blog. You can find just the nursing posts on the "nursing" link on the right side! :) Can't wait to share the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiff: That's great! I read your posts on nursing! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy. I enjoyed reading your post and completely agree with you about the back injuries. My mom has been a nurse for twenty plus years and injuries go with the territory. Anyways, I am in nursing school as well, so I look forward to reading more from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara: Thanks so much for reading! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete