Saturday, August 7, 2010

Making the Grade

I know that they say that we should all try to conserve, recycle, reuse. Don't get me wrong, I do agree with that notion. Except when it comes to school. One semester while I was taking Human Anatomy, I used my computer to take notes. Let me tell you, it didn't go too well. In order for me to learn, I have to write things down on a piece of paper, in different colors. After I take my notes, I go back and look through the book. Any important points that were not covered during class or that I failed to note, I write down on a post-it note and stick it in my notebook. If my notes are in one color it looks too boring for me to read and I start skipping lines when I am studying. I understand that everyone has a different way of studying. I am sure that there are better and easier ways for me to learn. The nursing program is going to be long and difficult, the way I have been taking my notes may not work out. I will take notes the way I have been, but I am taking more classes than I was before and I know that I will have to come up with new strategies. I am interested in how you study! What do you do to memorize the points that you have to know for a test? How do YOU make sure you pass?

7 comments:

  1. Nice Post, regarding to Anatomy course at my university; reading all topics from the original book was very essential and i got A+ .. thanks God

    but for other courses, i tend to use the way of summarizing & reading the most important topics

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother who is a nurse gave me a suggestion that I have used several times for studying for a test. If you have a simple question and answer type test to study then read it onto a cassette tape and listen to it while you are driving, cleaning, cooking, etc.... It really has helped me because there just isn't enough hours in the day sometimes. I have even listened to the tapes while falling to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You will have to follow me and my blog as well! I blog about other things but will be doing plenty of nursing blogs, too! You can go straight to them by clicking on the "nursing" link on the sidebar!

    I am excited about watching your page as well. I start Monday (8/16). I have always been a good student but have never really had to "study" so this is going to be new for me! I am going to be looking for study suggestions as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth: Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that. I think I am also going to make flash cards to take to work to memorize some things while I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy!

    I came across your page randomly and thought we had a lot in common with yoga and nursing school! I am just heading into my 4th year, and I found I was the same as you. I had to write everything down, and organize my notes in a certain way with different highlighters in order for me to get everything in my brain. I did very well doing things that way. Nursing school definitely isn't easy, but it is possible to do quite well if you're willing to put in the work. I have definitely gone through a lot of paper in the process... but it's what I needed to do!

    Good luck :) You will do amazing... and it sounds like you will make even more of an amazing nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to use your method of writing and coloring the texts I wrote, such a successful method especially during my anatomy course since there are a lot of names for bones and structures.
    but you know that really worked!! and I get the A+
    but unfortunately, now we can't refer to text books any more because they make us summaries for every topic and that seems annoying to me!
    I can't color my texts any more, I'm totally dependable on that summaries ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete